Sunday, May 14, 2006

TNs: Mother's Day Wines

The wines to impress the mother-in-law, in my case, were:

2003 Wegeler Bernkasteler Doctor, Spatlese, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer
(won at an online auction for $15 per...great deal!)

A beautiful riesling that is way above the spatlese ripeness level. I believe this is the equivalent to an auslese goldkapsel level if it were produced in a more classic year (i.e. cooler weather than the 2003 was). The wine sings with class and elegance. Stone minerals, yellow fruits, ripe pears, all accompanied with very subtle fizz. Medium bodied with some viscosity, sweet, and it lacks the bright acidity that usually accompanies a spatlese, but more suitable of an auslese ripeness level. Typically 2003 German (bigger, heavier, sweeter). A joy to drink with the Luau Hawaiaan salad tossed with vinagraitte dressing. Picture: Bernkasteler Doctor Vineyard in Mosel, Germany.

====+/5 (very good - excellent)

2001 Turley zinfandel, Pesenti, Paso Robles
($40, at the winery in Paso Robles, CA )

Your usual BIG and hedonistic Turley zin. At 15.3%, this is a heavy weight wine, and I could feel the heat in the back of the throat. The power of the fruits, pepper, and acidity fortunately saved the day for this big wine. Blue/black berries, dark cherries, plenty of oak, and plenty of spiciness and peppery finish. Medium - long finish. A wonderful treat!

I thought this was an appropriate wine to open on Mother's Day since I obtained this bottle at the winery when I was travelling with my mom. Unfortunately she couldn't be here to enjoy it with me because she is still in the hospital on her long journey to recovery. I drank to her health as well.

====/5 (very good)

No comments: