Thursday, June 1, 2006

TN: 1999 Mang Shi Tea Factory Raw Melon Pu-Erh, Dehong County, Yunnan

This melon-shaped pu-erh was purchased from the Jing Tea Shop in Guangzhou via the internet ($30). Each melon is 500gr (17.5 oz) and it's very tightly compressed. At the moment of this tasting, the tea is 7 years old, which is still considered "young" by any raw pu-erh standard. At this age, the dry leaves have turned dark red and some dark brown in color already. After brewing, however, these leaves turn slightly dark green.

A very pleasant medium brownish-red liquor color that emanates a subtle green smell from its steam. The steaming wet leaves in the teapot, on the other hand, give the smell of fresh cut grasses and earth after the rain, but with a roundness and creaminess to it. Does it make any sense? There is also a sweet smell in the background which I will simply attribute to "floral" characteristic, though I can't really place what it is. Very nice!!!

Back to the liquor: the cha-chi is quite strong, and the tea is full-bodied. A bitter gourd taste at first, but later it gives way to a pleasant sweet aftertaste in the entire mouth and the back of the throat that lasts. Again, very nice! The tannin has already mellowed, leaving a smooth sateeny coat feel. This tea is already quite smooth going down.

Overall, a very enjoyable pu-erh to drink, and I would not hesitate buying more (and I will) for long term storage.

====+/5 (vg - ex)

5 comments:

toki said...

Is this the melon you'd sent for tasting?

~ Phyll said...

Guilty as charged. Yes it is the very same one.

toki said...

Must be a mixed up! I got something much greener and younger? steep color is golden yellow, not redish at all....

~ Phyll said...

Could not be a mix up. I packed the samples myself. It is possible that you got the inner leaves, which has aged slower. BBB said that his sample tastes older than its age, and I said that he could have gotten the outer leaves. It is a sizeable 500gr melon, so there could be aging variation between the outer and the inner leaves (although when I packed the samples they all looked about the same). I hope you found it enjoyable, still...

toki said...

Just posted my tasting in my blog first, before transfering to the "Community". Too "Hot" there....
MaN, mine looks really different then yours! A pleasant drink after all. Big Thanks.