Sunday, June 4, 2006

TN: 2004 Ridge Lytton Springs

From Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma.

For the past few vintages, Ridge has always been one of my favorite zinfandel bottlings among the likes of Turley, York Creek MBX, Hendry Vineyard (Block 7 and 28), Rosenblum Carla's Vineyard, Limerick Lane, and a few others. This time around, the 2004 Lytton Springs cuvee is made up of 79% zinfandel, 18% petite syrah, and 3% carignane. It clocks in at 14.5% alcohol. Sounds like a big wine, right? Right!

TN: Fresh red-purple color. Red-fruits predominant on the nose. Brambly raspberries, cranberries and blueberries come to mind immediately. This wine is quite a fruit bomb and full-bodied. Tarter and brighter than its 2001, 2002, and 2003 cousins, and lacking the peppery touch at the back-end. Ripe, sandy/dusty tannin. I prefer the 2002 and 2003. Perhaps I may change my mind when I open the second bottle next time.

Click here for more details on the 2004 Lytton Springs.

==== (vg)

No comments: